New York: Day One

On Sunday, we drove from "down the shore" into "the city" as the locals would say. After a frustratingly slow crosstown drive (there is a reason why no one needs to - or should want to - drive in Manhattan), we arrived at Barking Dog for brunch.

We were joined by Natalie and Rob and Ariela (six months old).

Ariela is so sweet and happily let me hold her. The guy on the right in the photo below is Phil - Natalie and I used to work for him. He lives nearby and it was fun to catch up with him as well. Phil grew up in the Detroit area like Chris did, so they managed some sports talk despite it being "the loudest restaurant" Chris had ever been in. Notice the sunburn Chris acquired at the two-hour outdoor wedding ceremony the day before.

After brunch, we stopped by Natalie and Rob's apartment which was right across from the restaurant. We didn't stay long, but had a chance to watch video highlights from their honeymoon in South Africa. (Some of you may recall that I attended their wedding in Brazil in 2005).

Chris and I were soon on our way to return the rental car and check into our hotel - the Park South in Murray Hill, not far from my former NY home. I got an incredible rate (by New York standards), so anyone visiting New York may want to look into it.

Chris relaxed and watched basketball while I went for a walk. New York's enticingly convenient retail meant that my walk also involved some shopping. I returned to rouse Chris from a nap and to drop off my purchases.

We were soon on our way to the Empire State Building. While this was probably my tenth trip, they are constantly changing the process (and raising the prices!) so it's always a new adventure.

The observatory is the same, although they've moved the gift shop down to a lower level. I guess that's to keep people moving, but it made the process of getting to the top seem somewhat less rewarding.

Regardless of how many times I've seen it and despite the lines and multiple elevator rides, the view of New York from the 86th floor always takes my breath away. Chris said it was what he expected and envisioned. Looking at the photos he took - images similar to those shown in books and on tv - I guess one would basically know what to expect.

This is a view toward the south. Note the triangular-shaped flatiron building slightly right of center and the NY Life building's gold dome on the far left.

Looking northeast, notice the Chrysler Building (the day's gloom concealing its gleam) as well as the MetLife building. While not an architectural marvel, it's an easy-to-spot geographic landmark used by many a newbie, including me.

Nearly five years hence, I still know my way around quite well and seem to have met Chris' rigorous standards, with a couple of scheduling exceptions that I will discuss tomorrow.

That night we ate at Dos Caminos, where they serve tasty upscale Mexican, including exotic margaritas and the world's best guacamole.

There's the overview of day one. Stay tuned for day two details tomorrow!

2 comments:

Amber said...

My mom and fam were in NYC last Thursday to this Thursday...they went shopping and to the Empire State Building, etc...did you happen to see them? ;o)

Jennifer said...

I've been drawing it out to maximize my posts...we were actually there the weekend before last, although I don't think I would've recognized them! :)