Hooray for CA!

Today California became the second state in the US (along with Massachusetts) to legalize same-sex marriage.

I've never understood why this is such a controversial issue. Who cares what consenting adults do in private? Finding someone to happily spend your life with is probably one of life's greatest challenges (note that I said "happily"). If two people can achieve that and happen to be of the same gender, who is the government to deny them the rights bestowed on a male/female couple?

Our outlook as a progressive, thinking society is changing and our laws should follow suit. Banning interracial marriage seems ridiculous, yet that was the law in many states as recently as 1967.

While opposition of gay marriage among conservatives is nearly universal (though I'd like to know what Larry Craig and Mark Foley really think), there are a broad spectrum of opinions among liberals. Many - including elected officials I support - favor civil unions, which seem to me like a reincarnation of "Separate But Equal" that will eventually meet a similar fate.

There are certain issues - crime and drugs, to name two - on which my views are rather moderate. On this one, however, I could not be farther to the left. Live and let live, I say, and let's all mind our own business.

1 comments:

Amber said...

Like you, I'm VERY left on this issue.
I strongly feel that people don't "choose" to be gay. You are who you are.
It is painful to think that people can't marry each other because of their gender.
And really the government SHOULD NOT have the power to tell people who they can and can not marry.
People need to focus their efforts on more serious issues like how to get our troops out of Iraq.
And one more thing...you know what really burns me? That some people think that people in a same-sex relationship can't adopt/have kids because they'll "turn" them gay/lesbian.
Ugh, the nerve of some people. I won’t even go off about that comment because I could be here all day!