Gas Prices: Cause and Effect

Is anyone else throughly disturbed by today's news that Exxon Mobil reported the highest profit ever for a US company? Maybe not if you own stock in the company, which most of us with mutual funds probably do.

I paid over $3 a gallon to fill my car with gas yesterday. We constantly hear that it's the price of oil (currently over $90 a barrel) that causes high gas prices and figure we can't do anything about that. So we cut back on other things just so we can afford to drive to and from work. And higher gas prices affect many other things we don't even think about, including groceries, while most of us have probably not seen our wages go up more than the rate of inflation in years.

Exxon made $1,300 a second last year. The median household income in this country is $48,200. So in the time it takes to fill one car with gas - let's estimate five minutes - Exxon made as much money as eight households did in one year.

Something isn't right here - the oil monopoly is restricting supply and making record profits at the expense, literally, of consumers. There's not much we can do, but lets use the tools we do have - drive less often, buy fuel-efficient vehicles, purchase locally-made products and, perhaps most importantly, VOTE for the people and the legislation that care about the needs of average Americans, not stuffing the pockets of corporate titans.

5 comments:

dhealy said...

Can I assume that Hillary has a plan regarding the big oil companies? I hope so...
Mom

Jennifer said...

Mom, you're that person planted in the audience to ask the right question at the right time...

A year ago when Exxon also announced record profits, she said:

"I want to take [Exxon's] profits and put them into an alternative energy fund that will begin to fund alternative smart energy alternatives that will actually begin to move us toward the direction of independence."

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Amber said...

Did you watch the debate last night? I LOVED this line from Hillary:
"It did take a Clinton to clean (up) after the first Bush, and I think it might take a second one to clean up after the second Bush."

Now that's a classic!

Jennifer said...

Yes! I thought that was a great line!!

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more! Have you read any books by Lee Iacocca? I have "Where have all the leaders gone" on my wish list but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm sure it will just fire me up!!