Random Rant

I don't know if it's because I can still remember my 21st birthday or because I'm not litigious or because I'm logical, but I find it ridiculous that the parents of the young woman who died of alcohol poisoning in Mankato on her 21st birthday are suing the bar, its owners and five of her friends.

This isn't the first case of a frivolous lawsuit over the death of a loved one. But this is the first one I recall in which the death was essentially self-inflicted. She made the choice to drink and had the option to stop, but instead drank so much that her blood alcohol level was over .45!

It's a tragedy, without a doubt, but as with most legal actions it may make the parents feel better but it won't change their circumstances. On the other hand, it may have dire consequences for their daughter's friends, when in fact the parents themselves may be the ones to blame for her desire to drink well past the point of being able to control herself.

Depressing topic, but there are just some things about which I can't resist commenting!

(Mom, don't worry, this isn't the exciting post I was telling you about...watch for pictures tomorrow...)

4 comments:

Amber said...

I agree that this is a ridiculous thing to do and yes it was her fault. The parents did let her go so I do not feel they are as much to blame because they were not there but still should hold some responsibilty. And for her friend's to let her lay unconscious for that long is horrible!

Jennifer said...

Maybe I don't know all the details...I thought her friends put her to bed, went to bed themselves and found her dead in the morning?

I don't think her parents are to blame for that night, but I think they're pretty self-righteous in placing blame on others.

Amber said...

In the article it said the girl passed out and her friends let her lay there for an hour and this was at 12:30pm and then did not call 911 until 7am....I am one not to blame either but come on you should be able to tell if something is wrong and not have to wait 6.5 hours to call for help.

dhealy said...

The whole thing is just plain sad~

1. why do people think they have to inhale their drinks - why not just relax and enjoy their evening?

2. those stupid parents ~ trying to make some money on the death of their daughter.

3. that poor girl ~ she thought she had some good friends who would stand by her while she drank her life away.

There are just too many of these kinds of stories where people die for stupid reasons. It's sort of hard to feel sorry for them...

Mom