Much has been made about Hillary "tearing up" last week. Some have credited it with being the force behing her win in New Hampshire. Others have criticized her for faking it or making women look bad.
Frankly, I think it had little, if any, impact and I wish people would stop talking about it. While I'm as likely to look for deeper meaning or broader impact of small actions as anyone (just read some of my blog posts), Hillary's eyes welling with tears is not a step back for women, as some have suggested.
I'll admit that there are times when I can't hold back my tears no matter how hard I try. I can't be the only one - there's a reason they lower the lights when we sing Silent Night at Christmas Eve church, people!
There have been two instances in my 11 years as a "full time worker" that I couldn't stop the tears (although they never left my eyes!). Once when I erased the video of some dude's retirement ceremony and I got yelled at and the other time when my boss was just plain being a jerk.
I still remember these instances and am embarassed by them. It's not ok for anyone to cry at work (about work, anyway), but I do think it's harder for some of us genetically-predisposed criers (thanks a lot, Mom!) to keep the tear ducts from functioning.
But you know what? Crying happens. It's called being human. Get over it, folks, because as I've told my perenially dry-eyed husband many times: don't make fun of crying because you just never know when life will give you something to really cry about.
4 comments:
As a robot, excuse me android, I can't really relate...
I agree with your comments regarding Hillary tearing up - they keep flashing to other candidates who have shown emotion but this was a WOMAN so it must be a ploy??? Get real...
Yes, and those of us who are "genetically-predisposed criers" have really clean tear ducts!!!
Mom
MY TEAR DUCTS MUST BE SQUEEKY CLEAN - TEARS CAN COME JOY AS WELL AS SAD ,,,,,,,, SORRY JEN - IT COMES FROM BOTH YOUR MOM AND ME - NOW DON'T START TO TEAR UP -- OR WE WILL!!!!!!
LOVE, MARILYN :)
Ha - Marilyn - it really is a chain-reaction!!
Post a Comment