The Future of the Midwest

I just read something in a report by a well-regarded housing economist this morning. Believe it or not, he has a prediction that I think you will all find interesting. Regarding the effect global warming will have on migration trends, he posits that:

"Many Midwest cities that had been losing population to the South will begin to grow again. Residents around the Midwest will look north for second homes and even retirement, reversing their present orientation. Emphasis will be on escaping the heat; less on fleeing the cold."

Granted, he's an economist not an environmental scientist. But I think he has a valid point - probably because I said the same thing months ago. It may not happen for decades, but chances are it will happen.

This is an appropriate topic to welcome Mom, Dad and Grandma Dottie back to the freezing cold from their trip to Arizona. I hope you had a wonderful time and can't wait to hear the details!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Economists RULE!

Don't forget the availability of fresh water too!

....but don't overlook this is a long term trend...and for economists long term means...looonnnnnggggggg terrmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

dhealy said...

How about those who want to build their retirement home up north but still want to spend winters in AZ? Are we following the trend??
Mom

Jennifer said...

Actually, Mom, I think that is a trend as well!