The Excitement Has Begun!

After well over a year of campaigning, the first test of the 2008 election is over! In the days and weeks ahead we will begin to see the face of our next president. This is an exciting time - 4 days 'til New Hampshire and don't forget to vote in your state on:

January 15 - Michigan
January 29 - Florida
February 5 - Minnesota, North Dakota, New York, New Jersey
June 3 - South Dakota (not sure what impact that will have!)

Certainly the major media outlets will give a better report than I have the desire or time to do. But I would like to share two fun facts about the Iowa Caucus winners that you may not have known.

Mike Huckabee has cooked squirrel in his popcorn popper. Rumor has it that the Republican elite think he's too "hillbilly" to be their candidate. Iowans sure like him, though.

Apparently there are rumors that Barack Obama is a Muslim. I wouldn't have a problem with this and anyone who would is likely ignorant about the religion. However, it's not true. He attends the United Church of Christ and has never been a Muslim.

These contenders are just the winners of the first contest. The field has narrowed, but the candidates have not been chosen. Hillary Clinton remains my candidate of choice. I voted for her in New York in 2000 and I will vote for her in the Minnesota caucus on February 5.

I just love the presidential election process!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you are so involved - maybe you will want to run for something on day??!!
I have one question that you may have an answer for...Why do they make such a big deal of the Iowa Caucuses (sp?)? Is it because Iowans are so smart that they can choose the candidates for the whole country?
Mom

Jennifer said...

Ha! I doubt that Iowans are so smart...

My understand is that its such a big deal because the Iowa Caucus has been the first major electoral event (since 1972, I just learned).

Other states - Florida and Michigan - tried to move their primaries before Iowa and New Hampshire, but that caused them to just move theirs earlier and Florida and Michigan to lose their convention delegates.

Don't count anyone out yet, though. Bill Clinton only got 3% of the delegates in 1992!

Amber said...

Alright so I do not follow politics as much as you and do not find them as exciting BUT I will say that Hillary Clinton has my vote!

Jennifer said...

Hooray Amber!!

Keep in mind that you have to be a registered Democrat to vote in the June primary. If you're not, you can change it here: http://www.sdsos.gov/electionsvoteregistration/registrationvoting.shtm

Anonymous said...

Rudy! RuDY! RUDY!!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer said...

Rudy just happens to be the "least bad" of the Republicans, in my view. Although he doesn't stand a chance, especially with the evangelicals. I bet the skeletons in his closet make Bill Clinton look like an angel.

Anonymous said...

Is the U.S. ready for a U.S. president?

Anonymous said...

I also have never figured out why Iowa is so important - Hillary is my choice -- but,,,,,,,,, she is so anti gun ,,, and what would the boys do if they couldn't hunt ! use a net i guess,, i still think that would do just fine! i have a plan for that if anyone wants to listen ,, haha

Marilyn

Jennifer said...

I honestly think that most if not all of the Democrats who favor stricter gun laws have no interest in restricting hunters. The issue is about criminals who illegally obtain weapons. If all someone wants to do is hunt animals, then why would they have a problem with registering their gun(s)?

Anonymous said...

I think the US is ready for a Non US president!!!!!