False Hope

I know that my political commentary is becoming tiring for some, but I can't let the Michigan primary pass without a couple of thoughts.

The Republican race is really becoming an exciting contest. Such an open field is so uncommon in modern politics. I suppose both parties will have clear winner by February 5th, but for now it's still interesting.

Why did Mitt Romney win handily in Michigan? Was it because he was born there and his father was a three-term governor? Or was it because he made claims that tugged on the heartstrings of Michiganians fearing collapse of their economy and way of life?

I think it's the latter and that makes a sad statement about the mindset of a state I once called home (and in which Chris and I are still heavily invested, both financially and emotionally).

Concern about the economy was the number one deciding factor among those who voted for Romney, according to exit polls. You'll recall that earlier this week Romney told Michigan voters that he thought automotive jobs should and could return to the state and that he would fight to make that happen. This is an impossible feat and an ignorant claim. Not to mention cruel to voters who believe him.

Reading more of Romney's commentary, however, one discovers that he actually favors ways to create new jobs and to train workers in new technologies, rather than return to the old way of life for auto companies. Now this is a plan that makes sense (although none of his other plans make sense to me) and is one that he should tout the way that McCain did. But he didn't because he knows that the idea of change doesn't appeal to many in the auto industry.

Pandering to voters' dreams and hopes is common throughout the political spectrum and is surefire way to win support. Usually, it's harmless and maybe even a bit helpful. But in this case, where so many Michiganians are losing their jobs and their homes, Romney is simply creating false hope for political gain.

2 comments:

dhealy said...

I'm glad you are watching the candidates and breaking down the meanings behind their promises. That is something I've always wanted because I tend to "drift off" when they talk because they go on and on!!!
It appears to me that we need someone in office who can do something about the incredibly ballooning health care (mostly insurance) costs.
Mom

Jennifer said...

Good comment, Mom. Health care costs have really become out of control and out of reach for many, while the insurance and drug companies rake in billions.

Thank goodness we all understand that electing a Democrat is the first step in the process to change that.