Exercise Without Sweating!

Since I'm able to go to the gym at about any time of day (rather than 6am like I used to), I have a much greater selection of classes from which to choose. Today I took my first water aerobics class, called AquaCardio.

As the name implies, it focuses on getting your heart beating, but also helps build strength. In addition to the resistance of the water, I also wore weights around my ankles and used floating dumb bells for much of the workout.

It was terrific exercise and I'm definitely going again!
They also have an AquaStrength class that I'll try next week. The ankle weights tend to move up and down my calves, so I'll have to figure out a way to fix that.

I highly recommend water-based exercise for anyone.
Indicative of people with schedules that allow mid-day exercise, most of the participants were in their 50s and 60s. There are several great advantages: you're underwater, so no one can see how coordinated (or uncoordinated) you are; for those who don't want to be seen in a bathing suit (...Mom...), you can only be seen for as long as it takes you to jump into the pool; it's a really good workout; and best of all...no sweating!

If you have the opportunity to attend a class - do it!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds great - I'm so glad you have a chance to do some interesting stuff during your break! As for me - I think the trip from the locker to the pool would be much more than anyone would like to see me in a swimsuit...
Mom