This may be the only post I ever write about sports. I just can't let this Brett Favre circus pass (hoping it passes, anyway) without comment, though.I'll skip the assessment of his skills, because I'm no sports analyst. I'm not even really a sports fan. He could be the best quarterback to ever play the game, but this unretirement nonsense has nothing to do with how good he is. In fact, I don't even think it has much to do with football.
It's all ego and emotion that caused Favre to rethink his decision to leave the NFL after last year. He technically only retired in March and there's been speculation about his return for the entire four months since.
Why do I care? Well, I've always liked Brett Favre in the way non-fans show interest in the superstar because he's the only player we've heard of. I also visited Lambeau Field and watched the Packers training camp on a family trip in 1997. Surprisingly, I quite enjoyed it!
Reasons aside, I mostly care about this because I feel sorry for Favre. It seems that no one cares if he returns or not and the less interest shown, particularly from the Packers, the more he seems motivated to play again.
Did he want a bigger production made about his retirement? To be begged to stay? Or is it simply that he missed the game and can't stand the thought of not playing? How could he not have realized this before?
Favre is making himself look foolish. Have some pride, man! Sure, there seems to be little doubt that he will come back and play well. Maybe performance negates appearance in sports. I just don't think he's going to get what he wants out of this and I feel bad for him. He is a man in need of psychological help. I'm not joking.
3 comments:
Amen, Jennifer. I think he's making an absolute fool of himself. He's pulling a Michael Jordan and it's ridiculous. Retire. Spend money. Save your knees and take a knee, old man.
(This has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an avid Vikings fan and I very much dislike the Packers :) )
Your blogs are great, Jennifer. I can't wait to see the next one. I'm hooked!
Melana
Melana commented on my blog! Hooray!! :)
Jennifer I agree with you also. I wish he would just retire at his best because like Michael Jordan he will come back and not be as great or something will happen and he will of wished he would of stayed retired!
Post a Comment