Traumatic Trend Spotting

I just got the latest issue of Lucky magazine and am frankly traumatized by a trend they featured. Pegged pants. Ugh! I hope that - like high-waisted jeans - this look will be an option rather than de rigueur. Although at my age nothing is "required" the way it seemed to be in high school.

Pegged pants, whether pinned, rolled or a combination of the two will always live in my memory as one of the most horrible trends ever. Even at the time I didn't like it and in fact stopped doing it for awhile. Someone said to me "what, do you think you're better than us" and so I reluctantly started pegging again.

It sounds ridiculous in retrospect, but in a small town there is nothing worse than being accused of thinking you're better than anyone else. In fact, there's even a name for this phenomenon: Jante Law. It's origins are Scandinavian, but I think these "rules" apply in small towns of any ethnic origin.

There are ten different rules in the law, but they are all variations on a single theme and are usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: Don't think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.

Thou shalt not:

  1. believe thou art something.
  2. believe thou art as good as we.
  3. believe thou art more wise than we.
  4. fancy thyself better than we.
  5. believe thou knowest more than we.
  6. believe thou are greater than we.
  7. believe thou amountest to anything.
  8. laugh at us.
  9. believe that anyone is concerned with thee.
  10. believe thou canst teach us anything.
Don't get me wrong. I love small towns and love my fellow Norwegians even more. But there is so much truth to this! It also reminds me of people I know who are offended by the movie Fargo (one of the best films ever, in my opinion) and who even walked out of the the theater in anger/embarrassment/whatever (see numbers 8 and 10 above).

I really digressed from my original point about the pegged pants trend. Trust that this is one I will not be following!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You absolutely slay me with your interesting takes on life!!! I always hated the pegged pants, too - they made even the smallest feet look huge!

This is such a good picture of small town life - it takes me back to when we moved here and some of your friends' parents were suspicious of us.

Now that we've been here a long time, I guess I can appreciate their views. After all, we were educated (much more than most of the citizens at that time), we were Norwegian (in a predominately Polish community) and we were Lutheran (in a Catholic community)!!

Mom

Mom

Amber said...

Diane...you OUTCAST you! HA! I'm laughing!

Question: What are pegged legged pants?
Are they pants that have been California rolled or pinned so the bottom of the bpnts are super tight?

Anonymous said...

Amber Kay - if it hadn't been for the Rosts, Rasmussens and Thomsens, I think we would have been "outta here"!!

Did you wear rolled and pinned pants, too?

Diane

Jennifer said...

Well, in the magazine the pegged pants were folded and cuffed, but still a little loose.

Amber, Ivanhoe's version of pegged could be folded and cuffed, pinned and cuffed or just pinned. No matter which method, they were super tight at the ankle. I haven't heard the term "California rolled" but that is funny! Makes me think of sushi...

Mom, I know the suspicious folks you're talking about. Although Ivanhoe's changed, I'm guessing those people are still suspicious of anyone who's different from them!

Amber said...

Really? You called them Pegged Leg pants. That's crazy. We grew up and hour apart while I've never heard of Pegged Leg you've never heard of California rolled.
That's crazy to me!

I was a pinner in 4th, 5th and 6th grade!

Jennifer said...

We didn't actually call them pegged. In fact, there wasn't a name for them, because that's just how everyone wore them!

Anonymous said...

As Jack would say on line - LOL!

Dad