Worst mom? I think not.

A woman in New York let her 9-year old take the subway alone. He begged her to let him try, so she did. Of course he was fine and also very proud of himself. The mom discussed it in a New York Sun article and was met with an unfortunate barrage of criticism from individuals and the media.

I find this attitude irrational and completely agree with her assertion that a "child who thinks he can't do anything on his own eventually can't."

She's started a blog: freerangekids.wordpress.com that is a fun read for parents and non-parents alike!

When Jack visited me in New York years ago I didn't hesitate to send him on the subway by himself. Granted, he was 15, but he was far less familiar with the city than a 9-year old who lives there. I always felt like navigating NYC on his own was a great learning experience for Jack. And he was completely safe.

Call me crazy (or just not a parent), but I don't want to live in a world like the people who wrote wrote to tell the author that:

-
a dad "lets" his 11-year-old walk one block to her best friend's house — but she has to call the minute she arrives

-
a mom proudly said that she doesn't let her daughter walk down the block to the mailbox

Naturally, there were some sensible people who wrote to tell her they thought she did a good thing.

Of course I can relate to the reasons why parents become over-protective. All week I've been noticing all the non-child friendly things in my house and worrying about potential harm they may bring to Trevor. But there's a difference between vigilance and outright nonsense.

Over-protected children become helpless, hapless adults. Isn't the purpose of parenting to raise children to become capable, self-sufficient adults rather than perennial children, scared of everything and unable to think or do for themselves?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with your thoughts on this. It probably helped that I have always been more optimistic and trusting than most people but I raised Tom and Chris to be self-sufficient and tried not to be overprotective. Yes, they are boys and yes, the world is perceived to be a scarier place now; but children don't develop self confidence if they aren't allowed to make decisions and try new things on their own.

Anonymous said...

I won't call you crazy...but I will call you "you're just not a parent"...and more specifically...you're just not a mother.

Gasp! Who is writing this?! You know who it is.

Depending on the degree of criticism...Finding somebody's criticism of what that lady let her son do to be irrational I think is a little strong. Or conversely, that people who favored that action are sensible a little to generous.

Certainly the principle of teaching your children to be not to be helpless holds true..."to raise them to become capable, self-sufficient adults"...no doubt.

But has a father of two boys who lets them do a lot of things on their own, I would not let them ride the subway alone in NYC at 9 years hold...and not because I don't trust they would make the right choices. I hardly think I am irrational for not letting them do that.

I suspect that if you were the mother of a 9 year old boy, you might second guess letting him ride the sub by himself...and if you did...you would probably be worrying about him until he arrived at his destination.

Anonymous said...

Matt, I've seen your kids take running leaps off of your elevated deck....you were comfortable with that because they knew the terrain, just like this 9 year old probably knew the terrain in New York. When little Drenin wants do something similar I'll tell him OK, then follow at a discrete distance...because I recognize the need to let them grow, and because I'm a worrier at heart.

Anonymous said...

Worrying is part of the job description for parenting. Also, read the quote above by Helen Keller.

Mr. Darnell said...

Hmmm...jumping off the deck...riding the subway in NYC...not really a compatible comparison. Too many differences to even bother writing about.

So now you will follow him? Again, a little different then you first described. I would probably do the same.

I believe you missed my point...that lady was hardly being "irrational."

Of course, maybe I should read that particular article. I'm just commenting off your summary.

Anyhow...hope you are enjoying the weekend and some nice weather.

Cheers!