Who watched yesterday's Oprah (or GMA, where, as Mom mentioned, they also featured this story)?
Despite the fact that Oprah seemed extremely perplexed by someone born a woman having a baby, I don't really see why this is a big deal. Sure, I see why someone living as a man and whose neighbors thought he was a man being pregnant is impossible to comprehend. But when you learn that he is biologically a woman, it's really not hard to figure out, is it?
The only thing that surprised me about this was how the pregnancy happened. I won't go into the gory details - if you saw the show you know - but I guess I didn't realize the at-home 'turkey baster' method was really possible!
I was bothered by some of Oprah's comments. At one point she seemed to question why someone who "feels" like a man would want to bear a child, as if this is only a something a woman should want. Considering that typically a man cannot have a child, I suppose this is the case. But I found it incredibly hypocritical coming from Oprah, who has publicly stated that she doesn't want children, that somehow one's gender identity is tied to the desire to reproduce.
Certainly, there are going to be people who have a problem with couple having a child, but I hope they allow this family to live in peace!
0 comments:
Post a Comment