Should we fear flying?

I fly quite frequently. Not on my own like Superman (I wish), but on an airplane supplied by a commercial airline and guaranteed to be safe by the industry's oversight body - the Federal Aviation Administration. Or at least that's how it's supposed to work. As we've all learned this week, the FAA has been allowing potentially unsafe planes to continue carrying passengers.

Who, except for the extremely wealthy who benefit directly from the profits made by large corporation (and one would have to question their morality), can honestly believe that lack of oversight and regulation is responsible course of action? If anything, big business needs more oversight.

See the current housing downturn and mortgage crisis for further evidence. Although I won't comment specifically on that because I'd like to remain employed, most of you probably know who I think is largely responsible for that situation. It's not the ones who need the most help, but will not receive much from the housing relief bill passed by the Senate yesterday.

Returning to the topic at hand (although lack of oversight is endemic and the root cause of a host of current problems), the mechanical issues with hundreds of planes owned by numerous airlines seem to be secondary to "horror" of passenger delays. Certainly, I've been delayed and know how annoying it can be. It can only be luck or the grace of God that has prevented a crash due to these ignored problems.

We, average consumers, need protection from profit-hungry corporations. Our government and its agencies are supposed to serve that purpose. But this administration seems to have no concern for anything that shields the average citizen if it is at the expense of corporate profits. As a result, we have no defense. Perhaps I'm too idealistic, but I believe our votes in November can change that.

In the meantime, I have two flights scheduled in upcoming months and for the first time since the weeks after 9/11 I will question my safety on board those planes.

2 comments:

Amber said...

What airline are you flying on? Isn't it American Airlines with all of the issues?
I'm flying Northwestern in a a little over 6 weeks...and honestly I'm a little worried too!

Jennifer said...

I'm on Northwest and Sun Country, but I don't think this issue is limited to American. They're just the biggest. Southwest, Delta, Alaska, Allegiant and Midwest have also reported problems.

I think the issues are with certain types of planes, but with this lack of oversight does anyone even know what other problems might exist?