Remembering Katie

I don't know if it's because for 1st through 11th grade I spent every day with the same 28 or so people, but in some ways my classmates were almost like family. Even if I haven't seen them for years, we always have something to talk about. As adults we may have little in common, but those childhood bonds endure.

When something terrible happens to one of them - like Katie, who was murdered by her husband on Sunday - it's devastating. I probably saw her once since we graduated in 1991, but my thoughts are filled with memories of her and sadness for her children and family.

Here are a few of us in a photo from 2000 (Katie's on the far left).


Katie was quiet, but fiesty. Although she was a gifted athlete in all the "girl" sports, more than anything she wanted to play football. This raised quite a ruckus among the junior high players and coaches, all of whom knew she would be one of the best but still refused to let her on the team. For months, it seemed, Katie talked about how unfair it was that she couldn't play and how she would fight it. Ultimately, knowing it would never happen, she gave up.

Katie could tell a scary a story in a way only someone who grew up with lots of older brothers could. I'll never forget her story about how the devil sits at the end of your bed while you sleep. As someone who didn't know much about the devil - Lutherans like to focus on the positive - I woke up in terror for weeks thinking satan was in my room. Katie thought that was hilarious!

I don't know anything about the life Katie lived and I try not to think about her terror in those final moments. I also try not to think about what may have been going on in the months or even years leading up to her death, because I know domestic violence crescendos. Her abuse may have started with little things - maybe not even physical - that ultimately led to her death.

Katie may have been able to weave creative tales about the devil, but I know she's with the angels now.

5 comments:

Amber said...

That is so sad. I am very sorry to hear about this.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,

This is a very nice tribute - I forwarded it to lots of people!

Mom

Amber said...

Jen what is Katie maiden name?

Jennifer said...

Katie Tykwinski

Ashley Gawerecki said...

I was looking on the internet for my moms name in the paper and i came upon this website thank you Jennifer for the great words you spoke. She was my real mom and i am still going throuh alot but i am keeping my grief to myself. The last time i saw her was nine months ago she was such a wonderful mom. She was pregnate with me in high school and i cant imagine what she was going through. She left me with my dad and i grew up with my dad and constantly wanted to see her when i was younger. The picture that was on her obiluary was one of the pictures i took with her that was the last time i saw her. I decided to not make contact with her that next nine months. She was conserned and always called me i didnt talk to her and wish her a merry christmas or even a happy birthday in February. she stopped calling me 3 months before her death and the The sunday she died in april she called me in the afternoon. I just got off of work and heard my phone ring i quickly answered it and heard her say "Ashley, its me mom!" I hung the phone up on her because i was jelous and i had hatered in my heart because of everytime i would be with her she had my little sister Jenna and i wished i could of been Jenna and could of had my mom care for me just like she was caring for jenna. I miss her so much and i think about how i could of done something but God did this for a reason and i cant change that. I MISS HER!!! The one thing i have learned it to never hold soemthing against someone and to love them to your fullest because you do not know what will happen to them.... I hope someone sees this... there were so many things i wanted to do with her... she talked about how she wantd to meet my boyfrind Gerrit and be there at my Jr. Prom but she died before she could do that... I have to be totaly honest i dont think I will ever get to see my sister and brother again Don's family has them and there not giving them support or help they are telling my sister and brother that is was my moms fate that this happened and they do not want to come to Ivanhoe and spend time with the tykwinski's because of that... If theirs anyone who can pray for them please do that it would mean alot to me my sister and brother are to young for all of this...I love them so much....I MISS MY MOM.....I LOVE HER
Ashley Gawerecki