We watched Lars and the Real Girl last night and really, really enjoyed it. It is a bit odd, though, and I don't think everyone will like it. Those with a disdain for metaphor and who prefer to remain grounded in reality will likely think it's stupid.The premise that an entire town would go along with the delusions of a mentally ill young man is a bit hard to believe. Yet, having grown up in a small town not unlike the one in the movie, I find it somewhat plausible. Small towns tend to create their own reality, within which people must abide to survive; this movie illustrates one manifestation of that phenomenon.
I was particularly drawn in by the supposition that reality is individual, a product of our own minds. If someone believes something is real, how can another claim that it is not?
The foremost example of this individual reality - and a prominent metaphor in the file - is the existence of God. Who among us actually know that God is real? Yet God's existence is something millions build their lives around and to which they devote countless hours and dollars (at varying degrees; I'm admittedly on the low end of the time and money scale).
Lars and the Real Girl made me think beyond the obvious, yet is a terrific "feel good" film. It's out on DVD; see it if you have a chance.
3 comments:
I have never seen it I will have to rent it just to compare movie tastes with you.
I loved Lars and the Real Girl but I don't think it would have nearly as entertaining without Ryan Gosling. He pulled off a difficult role and movie.
just saw Lars and the Real Girl, Gosling did a great job playing out his character's psychological transition from totally dysfunctional to somewhat functional; it was nice of them to leave out the predictable small-town drama as well
Post a Comment