A Fun Wednesday Night

Last night I decided to stop by Barnes & Noble in Edina on my way home. Garrison Keillor was signing his latest book "Pontoon" and I thought it would be fun to see him in person, since I've enjoyed listening to him on the radio for years.

(Surely this secures my nerd status, lest any doubt remained.)

He talked and answered questions for about 45 minutes, during which time he wove stories and developed characters off the cuff unlike anyone I've ever heard or seen. Keillor is an unparalleled storyteller in modern times.

His brand of humor is of course appreciated here, where most everyone in the audience could relate to his stories, but he is highly regarded in literary circles worldwide.

Following the Q&A, he began signing copies of his book. At that time I learned I missed out on picking up a calendar page that would secure my place in line. Not wanting to leave without a signed book, I tracked down the calendar lady and received my page. July 12. I knew it would be a long night!

Two and a half hours later (at least I was free to sit and read or wander in Barnes & Noble), my turn finally arrived. Part of the reason it took so long is because Keillor chatted with every person in the line. My chat consisted of talk about Jacksonville and the merits of being a beach person, a lake person or - what he considers himself to be - an arboreal person (that would be someone who likes trees, for anyone wondering...).

Now I'm really ready to attend a live broadcast of A Prairie Home Companion this season! I have a feeling that Chris will pass on this one, so if anyone's interested in going with me...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you just make me laugh - thanks for doing this blog...

Love, Mom

Jennifer said...

I'm glad I can at least provide some entertainment...

Bane said...

I live broadcast of PHC!!!! That's what everyone down at the gym calls it, we listen to it all the time! DARN THO! I think I have plans that night!