My Ashtray Apartment

Since moving, I've been so bad about keeping up with my blog postings. Maybe it's because I see most of you so often now that I don't have any new stories? Well, it's either the mundane day-to-day or nothing and today I'm going with the former.

I moved into an apartment in downtown Minneapolis yesterday. My excitement about the prospect of city living dwindled the moment I opened the door and was hit with the acrid stench of cigarette smoke baked into every nook and cranny. It smelled as if someone had smoked a pack a day for 20 years and never cracked the window.

Thinking that my immediate nausea was related to hunger, I took a walk to Target for snacks and air fresheners. Despite the temporary emotional lift from walking the downtown streets abuzz on a late holiday afternoon, the smell (and nausea) were still there when I returned to my 25th floor ashtray.

Downtown's noise is music to my ears, except when I want to sleep. I had to close the windows, but hoped the "fresh linen scent" would eliminate at least some trace of the former tenant's chain smoking. Nope!

Although staying in nine different hotels/houses in the past month has resulted in many restless nights, last night may have been the worst. I kept dreaming that I was surrounded by giant cigarettes that were trying to smother me in ashes. (Not really, but that's about how it felt).

I finally gave up around 5:30 am and decided to hit the building's fitness center. If the room smelled sweaty, my nose was too grateful to notice. Upon returning, I went to make coffee, only to discover a moldy coffee filter in the basket.

Is this starting to sound like "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day"? At least I didn't drop my sweater in the sink or wake up with gum in my hair.

My day actually improved quite a lot after that, so I really shouldn't complain! The commute was a breeze and because I couldn't make coffee at the apartment I treated myself to a Caribou latte. I've missed that place and probably treat myself there too often!!

I do dread returning to the stink hole tonight, but at least I know they're coming to shampoo the carpets (not scheduled yet, so let's hope it's soon). I have my doubts that it will work, but the relocation company seems open to moving me if I'm still dissatisfied. They don't have another apartment in the building, but I will be happy to move somewhere else.

Is it surprising that I'm making such a big deal about the smell? Maybe. But this is really bad - I think almost anyone (even some smokers!) would do the same thing. I may not be paying the bill, but that doesn't mean I won't pay in other ways (lost sleep, general crankiness).

I'll end on a positive note...the view of downtown from the 25th floor is awesome!

1 comments:

Bane said...

Once I get their it will reek of IcyHot!