Jeans on Friday: Perk or Pariah-maker?

Many of you are fortunate not to work in traditional corporate offices, but I'm sure you've all heard of the so-called "perk" of wearing jeans on Fridays (sometimes or every week). In my new office, jeans are allowed every Friday.

Over the past six weeks I've learned that they are not only allowed, they are practically required. Or at least they are in the mind of one guy. I'm not sure why, but he has made it his personal mission to make sure I wear jeans on Fridays. Not only has he reminded me on Fridays when I didn't wear jeans and praised me the one week I wore them, he has also mentioned it to my boss!

(Note: This guy is not in charge or even above me in the hierarchy, by the way. He's very nice but perhaps a bit of a busy body.)

Why are jeans a perk? It's not like we're required to wear buttoned up suits and uncomfortable shoes everyday (although I sometimes wear them by choice). I have enough personal freedoms in my life that being permitted to wear jeans is not a perk.

Don't get me wrong, I love wearing jeans. But because I want to, not because I have to. I would be just as bothered if I felt required to wear anything.

The past couple of weeks I've started to think about it. I gave in to the pressure one week and wore them, but since then my indignant and stubborn side has led me to purposely not wear jeans simply because it's become a big deal (at least to this one nosy guy). Then again, my conciliatory side says to wear them on most if not all Fridays in a solid Midwestern effort to show that I don't think I'm better than anyone (which of course I'm not).

(Another note: Not everyone here wears jeans on Fridays. The dress code is generally casual so there's not much difference.)

My question to you is: should I wear jeans tomorrow?

6 comments:

Amber said...

I think you should do whatever makes you comfortable. I let my staff wear jeans on Friday's because we do denim for dollars so if they want to wear jeans then they bring a dollar and at the end of the year we donate that money to a charity. Are you doing anything like that? If not be stubborn and do not wear them, it should be your choice not the noisy fart.

Bane said...

I think you should wear them, but as a jacket. Come in with your arms dangling in front of you like a T-rex.

Amber said...

We could wear jeans on Friday...until a couple weeks ago. Ugh, I find it so annoying that we can't now.

Jennifer said...

Amber Rost - why don't they let you wear jeans anymore?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Bane.

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,

When you were three, you were changing clothes five times a day and no one could tell you what went with what! I guess you know what to do about this jeans thing and I'm sure you can tell your co-worker (in a nice way, of course) where to get off!
Love you,
Mom