This all reminds me of a time in high school (ca. 1988?) when "bump shoes" as I called them were all the rage in Ivanhoe. I'd say 99% of the people in about a four-year age span had the same pair of shoes. Boys and girls.
They looked approximately like those shown, only the boys' were slightly more masculine. Slightly.
The only people in 9-12 grade who didn't have them were the kids who probably only had one pair of shoes...and me. There's nothing wrong with the shoes - they're cute - it was just weird that everyone had them.
Disclaimer: I actually own a similar pair now and really like them, but as with most things in high school, if everyone had it and it became a big deal, then I didn't want it. That's still kind of true.
Few people probably remember the bump shoe days, but that was a uniquely Ivanhoe time I've found hard to forget. Every day, it seemed, someone new would show up with a pair of bump shoes. Most people wore white ones and if you'll recall, 1988 was still the height of pinned/rolled jeans in Ivanhoe. These shoes tended to make feet look larger than they were and in contrast to the peg leg jeans (all too often white jeans, again on boys and girls), let's just say it was not a good look for very many people.
5 comments:
OMG you crack me up!! I had 2 pairs of those shoes and I loved them especially how they feel when you would walk!!
You also made me crack up because I was the queen of pinned pants.
You must have been a stylish little kid...what year was that?
I was in 2nd grade when my mom bought me my first pair of shoes and I graduated high school in 2001.
Well you were right on track with the high school kids then! I'm think you were in third grade when I graduated. eek!
"uniquely Ivanhoe"...
Coming from an outsider there are SO MANY things that are: uniquely Ivanhoe.
Post a Comment