Oddity of the Day

Given that I observe so many odd things (or at least I think they're odd), I'm starting an "Oddity of the Day" post. I could probably post something every day, but I will try to post only the oddest. I could probably call this "Rant of the Day," but nine out of ten posts would likely fall into the rant category! :)

Today's Oddity:

What is with people on airplanes who think that the overhead compartment purpose is to keep their suit jackets uncrushed and wrinkle-free? And that said jackets take priority over actual luggage?

Last night the guy sitting next to me practically flew from his seat when another passenger touched his suit jacket while trying to put luggage in the overhead.

I mean, I don't want to discriminate about what's acceptable overhead cargo and what's not, but if a person can legitimately wear the item, shouldn't that take lower priority?

I wear a suit jacket about half the time I fly. Not once have I ever thought of putting the jacket in the overhead, yet I see someone else do it nearly every time I fly.

What am I missing here? Is there a legitimate reason to do this, other than wrinkle prevention (which I refuse to accept) or is it pure oddity?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok to put clothing in there...but the expectation should be that they will get wrinkled. Why? Because suit cases SHOULD take priority.

Oh the NERVE of people!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps this is because I live in Montana, but I find this issue more with cowboy hats. When I open the overhead compartment and there is a nice Stetson or something, I often wonder why it would be there. That's the last place where I would put my suitcoat, cowboy/girl hat on a plane. Maybe people don't listen right before you're given the go-ahead to get your items...there's a spiel about "the items have shipped during flight". In whose mind would it make sense to put something that you'd like to keep nice looking up there? Not in my mind. I can share this beef, Jennifer. Hold your jacket or your cowboy hat. It's the safest place to keep those items. The overhead compartment if for bags and such.
Melana

Anonymous said...

I like to bring a George Foreman grill and set it up in the overhead..there is nothing better than BBQ mid-flight..added bonus, with the airlines cutting back on service, you can auction off your leftovers to the highest bidder....the only drawback is, yeah, sometimes I ruin a stetson or a nice suit coat some nut put up there...what is wrong with people?????