When I try to do something good...

As I was driving (or should I say barely moving along the I-394 parking lot) last night and saw many city buses flashing past me and then eventually stopping right near where Chris and I will be living for the next few weeks, I had a great idea. Why don't I take the bus to work?

I always took public transit in NYC and loved the time efficiency it gave me. I read about one book every week and didn't have the stresses of dealing with traffic. There were certainly drawbacks, like the time it took an hour for the bus to go four blocks on 57th Street following a light snow. But in general, it was wonderful.

So this morning I went to the Metro Transit website to figure out my route and how long it would take. My current drive varies from 20 minutes to 45 minutes so I figured I could deal with a bus ride up to one hour.

What I've discovered is that there is literally no bus service within at least a couple of miles from my office. On the transit map, there is a hole surrounding my office that is not served by any lines. Why is this? I have no idea. I'm seriously discouraged that even if I want to take public transportation and do the right thing for the environment, I can't!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need to write to the Metro and suggest an addition to their routes!
Mom

Amber said...

OMG Diane I was going to tell Jennifer to do the same thing. Mert you are the kind of person to voice your opinion on something like this.

Jennifer said...

I will do that!!

Anonymous said...

Jen -- If i could do the bus thing in NYC - i could do it in Minn. - only if we do it together 20 times or more !!

Marilyn