Favorite Children's Books


Chris' mention of Jack and the Beanstalk got me thinking about kids' books. I loved books when I was little (and still do). Some of my best memories surround being read to (by Mom mostly) and eventually reading on my own. The top favorites I will always remember include:

The Best Loved Doll, which teaches a wonderful lesson about not judging people (or dolls!) by their appearance. I still read this one once in awhile!
The Magic Porridge Pot, which I mostly loved because of the realistic-looking images in the book. But it was also a great story.

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. This is a popular one and is actually a play at the Children's Theatre Company in Minneapolis this season. This one's even helped me feel better after some terrible days of my own...as an adult!

I also remember Jon's favorite - Watty Piper's Trucks. Hmm...I wonder where Trevor gets his fascination with trucks?

Even more special than these books were the little story books Grandma Dottie would make for Jon and me. These were stories she made up and even included fun illustrations she drew!

OK, I could go on all day about my favorite books from the past 30 years, but I will save that for another day.

What are your favorite books from childhood? (or your kids' favorite books if you can't remember that far back!)

8 comments:

Amber said...

Alright in reading your post for today I did nothing but laugh because all of the books that you listed I have never heard of in my life.

I will have to think about the ones I just to read, I will have to get back to you on that one.

Jennifer said...

I guess the library had some new books for you youngsters! ;)

Anonymous said...

My favorite book was one that Mom used to read to me. I think was called "The Littlest Angel" and it was all about the adventures of a tiny angel in heaven. I don't know how old I was when it dawned on me that it was a sad book because it was a little child who died and went to heaven. I didn't like it much after that!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer
Kailey just read the Alexander book and they got to see a local play on it. She loved it.
Mindy

Anonymous said...

I will try once more to leave a comment! Hope it works. One of my favorites, which I still have, is "The Shiniest Star" from Grandma Nelson 1958. It's about the 3 angels, Touslehead, Pigtails, and Crewcut, and keeping stars polished. Could that be the one you are thinking of Diane? Or did you have another Angel book?
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

What is your favorite book, Bane?

Bane said...

My favorite kid's book is The Shining, by Stephen King.

Good night time reading!

Anonymous said...

Mike's favorite was ARE YOU MY MOTHER by Dr Suess, he knew every word from front to back, even could read it upside down for Grandma Healy when he was 2. I gave him a new book a few years ago to enjoy!

Marilyn