What I will miss (and not miss) about Jacksonville.

The movers are at the house and Chris will vacate later today. Although I'm excited for us to start our new life in Minneapolis, I can't help but think about the things I will miss and also those I won't miss one bit.

17 Things I WON'T Miss About Jacksonville

1. The tap water
2. Creatures lurking in your yard that can kill you
3. The burning hot sun that created age spots on my face despite my consistent use of sunscreen
4. Hillbillies with confederate flags in their trucks and horns that play dixie
5. Racist remarks the likes of which my ears had never heard before
6. The obsession with sweet tea and Chik-Fil-A
7. Neighborhoods gated only for prestige
8. Skin and hair trauma brought on by the water/air/sun/who knows
9. The bionic weeds
10. The inability to do yard work when it needs it most (see #9) due to threat of death from heat exhaustion
11. The political climate / no taxes=no services
12. The sorry excuse for a downtown
13. Nary a day when the air conditioning isn't on and fear of opening the windows on the mild days (see #2)
14. Year-round lawn watering at 35,000+ gallons per month (ugh, what a waste!)
15. Not being able to find a good place to get a haircut
16. The single-source local media
17. The lack of a nice movie theater (that's more Chris than me)


10 Things I WILL Miss About Jacksonville

1. Wearing sandals year round
2. Never scraping my windshield
3. Learning fun new phrases like "jiffy feet" and "put it up"
4. The friendly and efficient grocery baggers at Publix
5. Lower prices on many grocery items and gas
6. Certainly the nice people I met
7. Fresh seafood
8. St. Augustine
9. Never needing to bring a sweater on summer nights
10. Knowing I'll never go back to our house there makes me kind of sad, so I know the place will hold a special place in my heart!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I love your lists - I hope you won't have a long list entitled "Things I Hate About Minnesota" after you've spent a winter here....
Mom

Jennifer said...

Haha! I already have a list in my head, but it's not very long and contains things like not enough left turn signals/lanes in Minneapolis!

Amber said...

Mert,

I know that on #9 on the things you will miss about Florida you mean "Never needing to bring a FUR COAT on summer nights"

Jennifer said...

LOL!!! I have not worn that fur coat in two years and can't wait to wear it.

You really shouldn't mock me. Remember Polish Days? Who was toasty warm at night and who was cold? Hmmm???