I just found out that today is Blog Action Day, designed for bloggers everywhere to unite and write about the environment - something that we all directly impact every day.
Last week I wrote about my desire to take public transportation more often, which is certainly an environmental issue. But I've also been intending to write about my attempts to reduce my use of plastic. What better day to do that than today!
Have you noticed how many products are packaged in plastic? It's extremely difficult to find anything that doesn't have some plastic on it. And we're all probably pretty good at putting our plastic bottles in the recycling bin. Maybe you also reuse plastic bags several times before throwing them away (or recycling them if you have that option).
Recycling is great, but when it comes to plastic, the best choice is to reduce our overall use of it. Only 5% of all plastic is recycled. You are probably all aware that plastic is more difficult to recycle than products like paper, glass and aluminum. Recycling plastic also requires the addition of new petroleum. Yes, did you know that plastic is made from petroleum? So reducing your use of plastic is another way to reduce our dependence on foreign oil!
Here are some changes that I've made within the past few months to reduce waste. I hope you will consider trying one or two of these yourself. It takes getting used to, but once you make the change you may find it's actually easier to pass on plastic.
- Drink tap water instead of bottled. Not only is it safe and tastes great (especially if it's LPRW!), it will also save you money.

- Bring your own bottle to fill when you're on the go (I have a this cute aluminum one).
- Reuse plastic containers for food storage (but never heat them in the microwave).
- If you only buy one or two items at the store and don't really need a bag, don't get one.
- Better yet, bring your own bag (some grocery stores give a discount for each bag you bring).
- If you need a bag and didn't bring one, paper is better than plastic.
- Use aluminum foil instead of plastic wrap. Grandma Dottie has been doing this for years! Foil can also be used in place of plastic bags for wrapping sandwiches or making little snack packs. It also washes up nicely for reuse and can be recycled right along with your aluminum cans.
- Rinse and reuse plastic storage bags (e.g., Ziploc).
- Don't heat plastic in the microwave. Use glass whenever possible. This isn't for the environment as much as for your own health. The harmful effects may be debatable, but there are plenty of studies that indicate plastics leach toxins into the foods and beverages it holds and it's much worse when heated. Why risk it? Use glass.
- When you are buying/using plastic, look at the number. 3, 6 and 7 are the worst for your health and are not recyclable. This means staying away from styrofoam (6) and for those of you with kids, check your baby bottles and sippy cups. If they are made from 7 plastic, you might want to look for alternatives that are BPA-free. This blog reviews some.
- Choose items packaged in glass, paper, aluminum - anything but plastic - whenever you can. This is not always easy!
- In the produce aisle, ask yourself if the items you're buying really need to be put in those plastic produce bags.
- Look for plastic made from corn. It's hard to find, but it's becoming more plentiful. I saw water in bottles made from corn for the first time this weekend. The bottles look and feel the same and I assume the water tastes the same, right Mom?
Ok, so that's an awfully long list. I hope you will try some of these ideas. Or maybe you have some other ideas that I can try. Please share!
1 comments:
I appreciate your dedication to the cause and I will use some of your suggestions! Yes, the water tasted the same in the "corn" plastic bottle and I think it was less expensive than the other bottles!
Mom
Post a Comment