One Resolution for 2008

Ok, I have a few days to go before the New Year's Resolutions actually kick in, but I've been doing some thinking about what I resolve to do in 2008.

One idea I have is to improve how I clean the house - to be more efficient so the house will be clean, yet I don't have to spend all my free time cleaning. Now, anyone who's visited my house knows that I don't spend all (or sometimes any) of my free time cleaning.

Since I really love having a clean and organized house, it's time to kick my "if you can't do something right, don't do it at all" strategy, which has never really worked in any area of my life. I could present numerous examples of this strategy's shortcomings...some of my college grades come to mind...

In my pursuit for a new approach (is this reminding anyone of my planning my planner plan post?), I've come across a website that I recommend for anyone looking to increase their cleaning efficiency or get started after not doing much cleaning.

There's so much information on the site and much of it is touchy-feely rather than practical, which makes it kind of overwhelming. There's an optional email group you can join and I'm not sure what to think about that yet. They send about 10 emails a day with brief hints and tips. With all the other email I receive I can see that getting annoying.

Her tips gave me some great strategies to get started on my own routine. I will spare you all the details, but one thing not on her list is creating masking tape labels for the different areas within your refrigerator (e.g., "dairy," "fruit"). Perhaps she would be interested in hearing about this tactic from you-know-who-you-are, but whom I will not name. :)

One requirement she has is wearing shoes pretty much all the time. I don't see the purpose of this and I don't like wearing shoes in the house, so slippers will have to suffice. I think the site was originally targeted at some stay-at-home-moms who may not feel like getting dressed and ready for the day. That's not an issue for me and I'm not wearing shoes!

Take a look at the site and let me know what you think. I'm also interested in anyone's efficient cleaning tips! And look out Chris!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief...

...I'm telling you, if we hadn't met, you'd be a crazy cat lady in like 5 years.

Jennifer said...

But at least I wouldn't be a shut-in...

Anonymous said...

24 hour-a-day video gaming, non-stop junk food...where's the downside????

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, I joined that site last year and between the shoes and the polish your sink, I cancelled the emails in less than a week.

Anonymous said...

You two just crack me up! The crazy cat lady and the shut-in - what a combo!!!
Mom