Jeg laget lefse...og det er god!

"If one "thinks" Norwegian when eating lefse, many say they "feel" Norwegian when making the stuff." So says the website where I got my lefse recipe. Dette er sann! (This is true!) Especially when the lefse turns out well, as mine appeared to last night.

The trick is really in the dough, which I made from scratch this time. Those mixes are no good and it's not that hard to make. It probably took two hours the first night to peel and boil the potatoes and make the dough. Last night I added the flour, shaped the dough and cut it into pieces like this one:

Then I rolled it out with a covered rolling pin. I always thought that rolling the dough would be the hard part, but it's quite easy as long as plenty of flour is used.

Transferring the lefse to the grill is easier than it looks, too. The main problem I had was that my lefse were getting so big and thin that they almost didn't fit on the grill!

The lefse did like to bubble up, but the bubbles went away once the lefse is removed from the grill.

Once I really got in the groove (I made about 32 lefse, 28 of which are yours to sample at Christmas!), I was rolling out a new lefse while I had one on the grill. This led me to overcook a few and to realize that making lefse with a partner would make it easier and more fun. (Hint, hint - anyone interested?)

What do you think of the finished product? It looks like it is supposed to, but I'll leave the taste testing up to the expert Norwegian palates.

By the way, the title of this blog entry means "I made lefse...and it is good!" Translations courtesy of FreeTranslation.com - not sure if they're accurate, but then again I don't think any of you would know the difference!

4 comments:

dhealy said...

I just love today's blog...the lefse looks great - can't wait to try it!
Mom

Amber said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! Do you want me to send you my address so I can sample some? ;o)

Jennifer said...

I sure will! I can't guarantee how well it will travel! Any chance you will be in Ivanhoe for Christmas and can stop by?

Dawn said...

So did you butter and sugar it before you ate it. That is the real norwiegen way to eat it, so I was taught. Oh any chance you will be in SD for x-mas and can deliver it to the SD bloggers. I would love some homemade lefse. I would also love to be your lefse making partner.