Paint, Cabinets, Flooring, Hardware

As I write this post, drywall work is being finished upstairs. After they sand on Saturday, Chris will paint the kitchen our chosen color of...um...we haven't selected paint yet. Yikes! We're looking for a pale blue-gray but haven't found the right one yet. There's my task for the afternoon!

Choose paint and go to IKEA to order the cabinets. Yes! Finally! After obsessing about the kitchen layout for, what, eight or nine months, I'm hesitant to place the order. What if I come up with another clever idea? I just tweaked the layout again this week. Kitchen commitment is hard!

Speaking of commitment, we've made one to cabinet hardware. I'm too ashamed to admit (or even to tally) the number of hours I've spent searching for the right hardware. One of the joys/curses of being unemployed and semi-obsessive.

We've selected matte black pulls for the drawers


and basic knobs for the cabinets (they will also be matte black but the image wasn't available on the website)


The knobs on the new doors we're installing throughout the house will have knobs similar to above. Our hardware selection will get us closer to the look in our inspiration kitchens.

Also on the way to completion is the extension of the hardwood floors into the kitchen. The photo below shows only a few rows installed on the left side, but the installation is now complete. They will return tomorrow to sand and then come back after the cabinets are in to stain the floors.

They did a nice job of integrating the old and new flooring. Once the dark stain is applied I think they will blend almost invisibly. One thing we will probably notice is how quiet the new floor is compared to the squeaky 50 year old floor!

Here's a reminder of how the kitchen looked from the same angle as above before we started this project. Watch for these cabinets to make a reappearance in Marilyn's lake cabin!

We're looking forward to Jon and Amber's return visit next week to (hopefully) complete the project. It's so nice to have Jon here to do the work, although it is almost all work and very little fun for him while he's here. Once the project is complete we will look forward to having visitors who can relax and enjoy themselves.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

SEMI-obsessive? SEMI?!!????

Unknown said...

It looks like you really are going to have a great kitchen - how fun to see the pictures!

Melana said...

I can't wait to see the finished project!!! Remodels are hard, but totally worth it!