Although it was dark when I left the house this morning, I swear the sky was filled with rainbows and lollipops lined the candy-paved streets. OK, everything looked exactly the same. But it does feel a bit like waking up in a grand technicolor Land of Oz after being knocked in the head (repeatedly for eight years).
While every American is better off today, whether they all recognize it or not, there is something larger than a Democrat winning the election. There is significance to the election of an African-American man in a country with a tragic history of racism that we all know exists to this day.
My dear friend Elaine's eldest son, who voted in his first election and youngest son who was born three months ago, will both remember 2008 as the year their president's face looked like theirs. Elaine told me that she's received calls and emails from family around the world - people who have never lived in the US and likely never will - who are inspired and overjoyed by what America has done. A quick look at newspapers around the world affirms their sentiments. It's almost as if we have repaired eight years of damage in one day, though it may not be quite that simple.
As much as I believe in this historic moment, I know we're not there. This is a step in what has been and will continue to be a long journey. A road that I hope will include more firsts. While I am thrilled with President-Elect Obama and was behind him 100 percent, I can't help but think about Hillary. About how seeing my own face reflected in our President's would make this amazing day twice as great. About how Sarah "all-style-no-substance" Palin did more to hurt women than help us.
Bygones. As a country, we made the right choice. I have no doubt about it.
Highlights:
- Although South Dakota went predictably red, Obama won where my favorite people live: Brown, Day, Marshall, Roberts, Brookings, Moody, Lake, plus a few others. You did what you could and your vote absolutely counts in Obama's Popular Vote win - the first Democrat to win a Popular Vote majority since 1964.
- Tim Johnson's blowout of Joel Dyktra in the SD Senate race. Everything I read indicated the race was tight. The first returns I saw were after the victory was called for Johnson. To say I freaked out may be an understatement. I think Chris and Jack were a little scared...
Dykstra ran possibly the most negative campaign in the state's history, yet he claimed to have "run a race we could be proud of." If he takes pride in exploiting a physical disability I truly fear the tactics he would consider shameful. The people of South Dakota are better than that and you proved it last night! This doesn't quite make up for the Daschle-debacle of four years ago, but it's a good start.
- In other excellent news from the Great State, Measure 11 went down in flames. Ten points is frankly too close on an issue like this and I fear that the extremists will never let up. But I think that voters are tired of dealing with this and maybe it will go away for awhile. A similar measure was defeated even more decisively in Colorado. Obama will likely select from one to three new US Supreme Court justices during his first term. It is nearly guaranteed that he wouldn't appoint someone with an agenda that includes overturning Roe v. Wade.
- Kay Hagan's defeat of Elizabeth Dole in North Carolina. Not only was this somewhat of a surprise victory for a Democrat in a conservative state, but it was a defeat of perhaps the most vile campaign tactics our country has ever seen. If you haven't seen the ad Dole ran in the final days of the race, watch it here. Dole accuses Hagan, a Presbyterian Sunday School teacher, of consorting with "Godless Americans" and ends the spot with an image of Hagan and a voiceover pretending to be Hagan saying "there is no God." This is so low even Joel Dykstra might consider it shameful.
- By the narrowest of margins, Indiana went for Obama, the first time a Democrat won the state since 1964. Indianapolis is one of four cities I cover as part of my job. When I was there three weeks ago I was shocked to see four or five Obama yard signs for every McCain yard sign. This was in the conservative suburbs, not the more liberal urban core. Maybe the pollsters should skip the phone calls and drive around instead. That approach would be similarly unscientific and possibly equally accurate!
- Katie Couric, CBS' accurate early calls, CNN's graphics and OMG was that a hologram of the US Capitol???
Lowlights
- It appears Al Franken lost his MN Senate bid to Norm Coleman by (at most recent count) 477 votes. Coleman has claimed victory, but an automatic recount looms. As Bonnie mentioned this morning, every vote really does matter. There are worse people than Coleman to send to Washington as representatives of the interests of Minnesotans (see: Michelle Bachmann) and this one could change, but it could be weeks before we know.
- Michelle Bachmann's Sixth District victory over El Tinklenberg. He was initially a long shot, but after Bachmann's Anti-American accusations, his chances skyrocketed. Unfortunately, there were enough voters who want Bachmann to continue speaking for them.
- California passed Proposition 8, effectively rescinding the right of all people to marry granted earlier this year by the state Supreme Court. Opponents have already filed a lawsuit challenging the vote. I'm not gay, I'm already married and I don't live in California. I do, however, strongly favor people's right to marry whomever they choose. We haven't heard the end of this issue, in California or nationwide.
- Alaskans appear to be as discerning in selecting their Senator as they were their governor. While the race remains undecided, convicted felon Ted Stevens maintains a slim lead over his Democratic challenger. I know they like to do things differently in Alaska and, frankly, who's to say that a governor has to read the newspaper or know more than one Supreme Court decision? Being a dimwit is one thing; being a criminal is quite another.
- Even Tom Brokaw couldn't convince me to watch NBC. Election night will never be the same without Tim Russert and his whiteboard. As much as I was in awe of CNN's holo-graphic-mania, Russert's no-frills election coverage was second to none.
***
President-elect Obama used the phrase "We are the ones we've been waiting for" in his Super Tuesday speech last February. While not original and criticized as over-the-top cheesy, it is these words that have been going through my head for the past day.
I would have voted in this election no matter what. I've voted in every presidential election since 1980, even if I no one actually counted my vote in the first three. What amazed me and encouraged me were all the people I know who voted for the first time. Who told me they weren't interested until now.
Perhaps it takes a situation so dire and a past so unpleasant for all of us to understand that the future really is in our hands. And collectively, it is our right, our responsibility to affect the change we seek. For it is the will of the individual, multiplied 133 million times (and counting), that defines Democracy.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
0 comments:
Post a Comment