Chris and I flew to Seattle last weekend for the baptism of Keith's and Lauren's baby Greyson. They called it a christening but I really don't know what the difference is so I'm using the term that's more familiar to me. Does anyone know the difference, if there is one?
Chris' other high school friend, Chris, and his wife Kristin were also there, along with several more of Keith's and Lauren's friends and family. We shared a suite with Chris and Kristin near Lake Union, which superstar marathoner Kristin did a quick 7 mile run around on Saturday morning. We felt like bums by comparison.
The baptism was on Saturday morning and it was a special ceremony just for them - not after church. It was certainly the most personal baptism I've ever attended. Lauren's dad sang "Forever Young" and played the guitar, which was so touching. Greyson was so well-behaved. She is almost six months old and by the look on her face it was almost as if she understood everything!
While talking about the importance of Greyson's baptism date being as important as her birthday, he asked if anyone knew their baptism date. Of course I do (September 24), so I raised my hand like any good nerd would. I don't think the priest expected anyone to know (or to say anything if they did know), so he didn't really seem to have a point in asking that. Although he was kind of an odd duck in general, so who knows.
They hosted a brunch at their beautifully renovated Craftsman-style home in Seattle's Greenwood neighborhood. We spent the rest of the day there and then went to dinner with Keith, Lauren, Chris and Kristin. They surprised us with a bottle of champagne in honor of our anniversary. Of course I drank my share as well as Chris'!
On Sunday we went to brunch and did a little shopping with Chris and Kristin. Then we met everyone for bowling at Sunset Bowl in Ballard, Grandma Dottie's old stomping grounds. We even drove by her alma mater, Ballard High School!
Seattle's such a great city, not unlike Minneapolis in that the city itself is vibrant, walkable and interesting and more desirable than the surrounding suburbs. I hope we go back soon!
I know, I know. I have no pictures. Chris brought his camera but I'm not sure it ever left the room. I'm not living up to my picture-taking responsibilities, am I Mom and Grandma?
6 comments:
What a great travelogue - it sounds like it was lots of fun. Great for those guys to get together too, I bet.
Gramma has been so anxious to hear about the trip so she'll love reading this blog!
Mom
You are a nerd I have no clue when I was baptised! Seriously Mert I shake my head at you more and more each day!
Ha - Amber!!! I felt bad that I wasn't 100% sure of Trevor's baptism date. Was it July 17?
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY JEN & CHRIS !!!!!!!!!
I EVEN REMEMBERED THAT BEAUTIFUL TRIP TO FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!
LOVE , MARILYN
i hope you and Chris can come to Kelsey's graduation - i'm so proud of her! also so you can see Cloe- she is such a dolly --
We are planning on it!
Post a Comment