After a fruitless attempt to make lefse several months ago, I decided to attend a class to learn how it should be done! I'd call yesterday's class at Kitchen Window more of a demonstration than a class, but I did have the chance to make three lefse. The first one was undercooked, but the other two were quite good! Interestingly enough, hot-off-the-grill lefse tastes very similar to Swedish pancakes.
Rolling and handling the dough was not nearly as tricky as I expected. Th key is really in the quality of the dough and it doesn't seem that hard. Although those who recall my inaugural blog post about making kumla know what too much flour does to Norwegian food!
In addition to invigorating my interest in giving lefse another try, I learned that there are over 50 varieties of lefse and some are made without potatoes! Can you imagine? Immigrants favored potato lefse and so it has become the prevalent form in the US.
If I get my lefse equipment out of storage by Christmas I will attempt to make some for our gatherings. However, if you were planning to buy lefse please do, as I can't guarantee it will be anything like the pros make!
Photo credit: www.lefsetime.com (I didn't know that more than five people read this blog).
6 comments:
When you make some, send some to me and I'll taste test if for you!!
OHHHH!!!! I kept thinking Lefse was Kumla...And I kept thinking I thought it was good when you made it! Now I understand Lefse is not Kumla and you have not made Lefse for me! But I look forward to when you do!
CV
You remember eating lefse, though, right? Or maybe it's better if you don't remember. Then you'll think mine tastes good!
Thanks Amber! It will be in the mail. :)
I would like to give credit the owner of the photo posted on this blog. It was borrowed from Lefse Time.
Visit their web site at: http://www.lefsetime.com/
I can't wait to eat your lefse! Just 50 days until Christmas - plenty of time for you to experiment on Chris!
Bonnie
Post a Comment