Amber thought attending our second state fair of the week (and this time without kids) sounded like a great idea and I am always up for anything, so a plan was hatched for the following day.
On Saturday afternoon, Amber and I set out for Brookings so she could get clothes at home. Tiffany and Tony weren't far behind.
While South Dakota's fair is smaller than Minnesota's, I like them both in their own way. South Dakota's is smaller, more personal, and more laid-back. Minnesota's is more intense, crowded, and larger.
We arrived at the fair around 7:00 and while Tony prepared for their performance scheduled for later that evening, Tiffany, Amber, and I hit the food stands. All fairs do well in this department. Among the three of us, we sampled:
cheese curds
mini donuts
indian taco
pork on a fork (enough pork to fit on a dozen forks)
deep fried twinkie
deep fried pickle
corn dog
mini donuts
indian taco
pork on a fork (enough pork to fit on a dozen forks)
deep fried twinkie
deep fried pickle
corn dog
Then it was on to stake our spot in the beer garden. I knew it would become crowded when the concert let out and Eclipse began to play, but I had no idea how crowded it would become. This 36 year old got a little cranky with all the pushing, especially the other 30-somethings who were pushing. A little politeness never hurt anyone!
As one would expect, early September evenings in South Dakota are way too cold for me! While an unflattering photo of me is not unusual, the odd look on my face (and double chin) in the photo below are due the 50-degree induced shaking I experienced. Until I started getting jostled and crushed; I forgot about being cold and started complaining about the pushing!
As one would expect, early September evenings in South Dakota are way too cold for me! While an unflattering photo of me is not unusual, the odd look on my face (and double chin) in the photo below are due the 50-degree induced shaking I experienced. Until I started getting jostled and crushed; I forgot about being cold and started complaining about the pushing!
Tiffany and Amber were much more mellow than I was.
Sometimes when I get cranky I just go with it until it dissipates on its own. Other times, especially when I'm with other people, I try to perk myself up by focusing on something other than cold or crowds or having to pee every 30 minutes.
The South Dakota State Fair presented me with the perfect antidote to my crankiness. There seemed to be an inordinate number of people sporting fancy hairdos.
I don't usually make fun of other people's hair. Clearly, my hair is not my best feature and I have mostly given up trying to do much of anything with it.
One might be tempted to remind me that people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. One would be justified in doing so, but just this once I'm going to pick on some hairdos!
I'm all for finding a hairstyle that works for you and sticking with it. Possibly even through three decades. But there is simply no way this was ever a great look for anyone.
Do you think she knows the woman in the previous photo?
Another thing you don't see every day or at every fair: convicts picking up the trash. (There's one riding on the back of the truck below.) These people were made to wear bright orange shirts with CONVICT printed on the back. While I am all for the state saving money and perhaps this is meant to shame them into rehabilitation, but I found it to be in poor taste.
3 comments:
Oh my gosh, the lady in the first picture is is my Aunt Rhonda!
Just kidding!
Oh no! Amber! I was ready to remove that photo. I wouldn't be surprised if someone knows any of these people...
Good one, Amber Kay!!
I think I'm going to have to go to a State Fair one of these days....looks like lots of fun!!
Post a Comment