Starting with a week ago Saturday, when Melissa, Steve, Chris, and attended the Basilica Block Party (a fundraiser to support the preservation of the historic Basilica in downtown Minneapolis). We saw Matt Nathanson and Counting Crows. We filled our bellies with cheese curds and french fries and a little beer. While we all enjoyed the evening, that is probably the last time we will attend that event. Too crowded, too much pushing, and too many silly young drunk people. When I had lunch with my 28-year-old friend Kristin the next day, she said that she and her husband decided they were too old to attend anymore. Touche, my friend!
On Monday I narrowly avoided an employment search agency scam. I'll spare you the details, but it's essentially the same thing that happened to these people. Fortunately, I am only out the money it cost me to park downtown. I still feel silly, as I have heard about these scams before and thought I would never fall for it! Oh well; lesson learned.
As I was driving home from that meeting (knowing, per Chris' Google search, that I had just wasted two hours on a scam), I rear-ended another vehicle at a stop light. Now it may sound like I was at fault, which according to my insurance company I am (as are 99% of those who rear-end). Both cars received minor damage.
Interesting to note, however, that the driver in front of me had been rear-ended four times since moving here a year ago. On the other hand, I have never rear-ended anyone (and I certainly had my share of fender benders back in the Birdmobile days). Clearly, she's doing something wrong. Inexplicably slamming on her brakes would be one thing.
Betsy was in town for a conference and we met for dinner on Monday evening. We had not seen each other for a year and had not sat down to chat for two years. And I can't imagine how many years it had been since just the two of us spent time together -- at least 15, that's for sure! We had a great time chatting about all sorts of things. I hope it won't be so long before we get together again!
I also received my first unemployment check last week. While I'm glad for Minnesota's generosity (more than twice what Florida paid), there is nothing pleasant about being "on the dole." I do take comfort in the fact that at least some portion of this money comes from taxes paid by my former employer. I hope I won't be receiving this money for very long, but it's important that our government provides some assistance, however minimal. Unlike healthcare, which is a topic worthy of its own post and one I plan to address soon.
Alison, a friend of Chris' since junior high, attended grad school at the U and married a guy from St. Paul. They now live in New York, but visit here often. Wednesday was the first time we were able to get together with her on one of her visits and the first time I met her. We met up with her again on Thursday, when we met her husband and daughter, the adorable 18-month-old Violet. We hope to see them again during a future visit!
Yesterday was Melissa's birthday. Chris and I joined her and Steve for lunch at Cafe Twenty Eight in Linden Hills. It has recently become a favorite restaurant of mine, but it was Chris' first visit and he was not overly impressed. We give most places a couple of tries, so we will have to see what he thinks about it next time.
After lunch we all went back to our house for a little birthday pie. Coconut Cream is Melissa's favorite, so that is what I made for her. It was my first attempt, but it was well received (Chris at three pieces, possibly without taking a breath).
Steve had an afternoon and evening of surprises lined up for Melissa. I look forward to hearing the details!
I realized after I saw this photo that I had applied far too much bone-colored eyeshadow. I am out of practice now that I only wear makeup once a week (or less).
Melissa wanted Chris to make a goofy pose for this photo, but he would have none of it! He looks quite handsome in this photo, I must say.
The four of us. Could the background be more boring? We are talking about thinking about starting to do some work on our house. Seriously! Stay tuned for a sneak peek later this week.
And finally, every day for the past week I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of Jon and Amber's baby! When is this happening? Let's go, baby! I hoped for today, which would have been Grandpa Irvin's 96th birthday. There could not be a sweeter person with whom to share a birthday. But it sounds like if s/he does not arrive by Tuesday, s/he will no longer have a choice and we will all meet baby by Wednesday!
2 comments:
Jen - what a great post! Happy Birthday to Melissa, too! Looks like a great time was had by all...
great post.happy family.very colourful blog.tq
Post a Comment