Baby Birds!

Many of you know that I am not particularly skilled when it comes to caring for plants. Specifically outdoor plants, as my indoor plants are not doing too bad. It is more of a lack of skill with the exterior of the home: lawn, gardening, plants, weeding, etc.

However, I'm trying to improve my skills and thus decided to purchase some hanging plants for our front porch. At my mom's suggestion, I bought two hardy pink geraniums (and one more finicky petunia that I had to move to a sunnier spot).

I found a nest-in-progress a few weeks ago in one of the geraniums. Since it didn't contain eggs, I decided to remove the nest and hope the bird would relocate her nursery. She did relocate (at least I assume it was the same bird), but to the other geranium and I didn't notice until the eggs were there. Of course I left them alone, which was great for the birds but not so great for the plant.

The geranium is limping along; I have watered lightly around the nest but generally stayed clear of the plant.

Last week, the eggs hatched and we now have some baby birdies on our porch! They may be difficult to see in these photos (Chris suggested I not use the flash), but you may see their tiny yellow beaks.


I am led to believe by those more well-versed in the ways of nature that the babies will move on within a couple of weeks, leaving me with plenty of summer to salvage my geranium.

While this has been fun (Sophia enjoyed taking a peek at the birds), I may have to find a different location for my plants next year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn nature, always getting in the way of plants growing!

V

Unknown said...

How cute! It looks like the leaves of the plant are still healthy.