Update on Chris' recovery.


Thirteen days after rupturing his Achilles tendon and six days after surgery, Chris is feeling "fine."

He says "the pains that were firing up my nerves happened a couple of times today - but other than that..."

Chris says thank you for all of the "get well soon" wishes! Here he is with the plant and balloon from Mom and
Dad.

You can see th
at the cast covers the majority of his right lower leg. His next appointment is on July 2, but we're not sure what will happen at that time. Chances are that he will wear the cast for a few more weeks and a walking cast after that.

Why is the Achilles tendon so important?
The Achilles tendon is the strongest and largest tendon in the body. It is a tendinous structure (attaches muscle to bone) that forms from a combination of the gastrocnemius-soleus muscles located in the calf. The tendon attaches to the heel bone (calcaneus) and causes the foot to push off (plantar flex) when the calf muscles tighten.
The tendon is necessary for normal walking, running, and jumping. Athletic and traumatic injuries to the Achilles tendon are common and can be disabling.

What is an Achilles tendon rupture?
Achilles tend
on rupture is a severe and disabling injury. A rupture usually takes place a couple of inches above the joining of the tendon and the heel bone. This typically occurs when someone contracts, or tightens, the calf muscle and suddenly pushes off the foot, such as in basketball or racquet sports. The injured person experiences pain, swelling, and an inability to stand on their tiptoes.

Resumption of
full athletic activity usually takes four to six months, or longer, after injury in the surgically treated patient. Surgically repaired tendons heal stronger with less chance of rerupture.

Source: http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_15_1_5.htm

3 comments:

dhealy said...

wow, it's interesting to learn about the achilles tendon - 4 to 6 months is going to be a long time to fully recover!

Amber said...

Jennifer I am in shock of your intelligence although I should not be....I think you have found your calling, to become a doctor! Get Well soon Chris!

Jennifer said...

I wish I knew all of that info...but I just found it online. :)