My first and last (not) for-profit scrapbook.

A few weeks ago, as the layoffs were looming, I started thinking about ways to make a living without working for "the man" (as Chris calls it). I posted on a freelance site for "left brain" work (i.e., the type of work I usually do) To foster "right brain" creative work I so rarely get to do, I posted on craigslist that I would make scrapbooks for people too busy to make them themselves.

I didn't think much would happen with either venture, but on Monday, someone responded to my scrapbook posting! I met the woman at Wal-Mart and helped her pick out supplies. She needs it by Friday, so I knew I would need to work quickly. But what else do I have to do? Quite a bit, actually,
but I still have enough time to do this scrapbook.

Ah, time. Any guesses how much time this is taking? I'm not keeping track, so there won't be a prize for best guess. Way too much. Especially given my rate of $1 per page. The scrapbook will be 25-30 pages, so that means I'll make less than $30 for at least a full day's work. Here's a sneak preview of my handiwork.


As Chris pointed out, I'm making less per hour on this project than Jack is making at his job (minus tips!).

I love the idea of this and it really is fun, even if it's for a stranger. But a money-making venture it will never be. Unless I charge more. What do you think is a fair rate? Would you ever pay someone to make a scrapbook for you? I would never charge family and friends (if anyone's interested during my current free time...) I'm just doing a little market research!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you never fail to amaze me...
Mom

Amber said...

I think that $30 is not enough at all. I think that if they give you the pictures and pay for the supplies it would be far to charge $80-$100. If I could give someone all my pictures to make a nice scrapbook and it took me no time it would be well worth the money spent. Charge more because you could actually have a great business.